Knowing how to select a licensed building envelope renovator in BC can be difficult. There are various roles and requirements that come with being a licensed building envelope renovator. This makes asking the right questions necessary to arrive at the right choice for your strata property.
What Does a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator Do?
As a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator, they will work with an envelope consultant to facilitate the repairs that a strata approves.
These licenses professionals are responsible for:
- Organizing with the insurance agency’s home warranty regarding the building envelope
- Completing the construction contract
- Organizing trade professionals to complete the project
- Site supervision and safety
- Building code coordination
- Municipality agreements and specifications
- …and more
In accordance to the BC Housing regulations:
…as of September 30, 2000 contractors who perform building envelope renovations must be licensed by the Homeowner Protection Office (HPO) and arrange for mandatory, third‐party warranty insurance on applicable building envelope renovations. Minimum coverage and standards for warranty insurance covering building envelope renovations are set by regulations, not by the warranty provider. The minimum coverage includes 2 years on labour and materials and 5 years on the building envelope including water penetration.
– BC Housing
Choosing a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator in BC
When choosing a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator in BC, it is important to know who you are hiring. This includes uncovering their qualifications and years in business.
There are a variety of questions you can ask to ensure you make the right choice. These include:
- If they are licensed by the HPO as a Building Envelope Renovator
- Warranty provisions for the building envelope renovation
- History of building envelope renovations
- Past project values and if any are similar to the one in question
- If the repairs successful
- Better Business Bureau complaints against a contractor
- If they are bonded and insured
- Whether they have WCB coverage
At Kallio Restoration, we are a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator in BC, and as such we offer:
Complete Building Envelope Restoration
Working with engineering partners to manage and complete the restoration of your building envelope to current BC Building Code standards. Product selection and design input is key to creating a project that adds the most value to your investment.
Building Envelope Assessment & Reporting
From leak investigations to envelope condition assessments, it’s important to know the cause of the envelope failure before offering the appropriate solution.
In need of a Licensed Building Envelope Renovator in BC? Contact us for a free quote or to inquire about our additional services. We look forward to continuing to serve our community, helping strata’s and the resident’s therein maintain their investment with thoughtful consideration.
Feel free to check out the BC Housing website also. They offers a wide-range of information for homeowners and developers alike.